Tuesday, March 2, 2010

West side story

Thoughts on discovering the west side: That weird guy I would occasionally see in the store with the pants that have holes where there definitely shouldn't be any, isn't just the weirdo at the grocery store anymore. He's now my neighbor.

I am currently slumming it on the west side. Of course, I say this all tongue in cheek. There really isn't any place in Santa Barbara that you could consider a slum, but the block where I've been waking up is renown for being barricaded for domestic disturbances. Guns? Possibly. Knives? Most likely. Do I care? Eh...not for the next two weeks.











Anyway, back to the colorful west side...I saw some pretty interesting things tonight while getting groceries. I saw two different male employees at Ralph's sexually harrass a female employee (we're talking blatant lude gestures and ass pinching). And she wasn't exactly turning them down. This might have been interesting to watch if the guys hadn't been 20 years her senior (and looking like old truckers) and if she wasn't my age.

Ew. Is that throw-up in my mouth?

Next, I will paint a picture for you regarding the two different Ralph's stores in Santa Barbara. The one I used to go to (in the good neighborhood) has a fountain out front and underground parking. The one I went to tonight is next to a seedy liquor store and a Taco Bell. In case you want a fifth of Jack to go with your double decker burrito.

Classy.















As I proceeded through the check out line I set my little basket down on the conveyor belt and apparently in doing so ruined someone's night. Because the lady behind the counter scowled at me and then proceeded to turn my basket upside down and dump my purchases everywhere. Good thing I wasn't buying eggs!

And the conversation of the night from said Ralph's is (drum roll please):
Checker: Do you have a Ralph's card? Do you want to sign up for one?
Man: No. I only like getting credit cards.

Hey, me too!

3 comments:

  1. my adorable apartment and i resent you for this. slumming? pah-lease. this is paradise. calle ocho is playing right now across the street. and have you heard the ice cream cart horn? it's like music to my ears. the west side is SO on other side of the freeway. rude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gives me an idea for my next post! Yipee! Thanks, Jeffy:)

    ReplyDelete