Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Fighting for Fall

It's technically autumn in these parts. It rained the other day. The very first sprinkle of the season. (Eeeee!) And then the little red dot in my thermostat jumped right back up into the 80's. I only got to wear my new tights for two days.

Only two days!

I've refused to believe that summer is underhandedly trying to weasel its way back into my life. I've been ordering my lattes and sporting scarves in the early morning in protest of the current temperature hoping I will sway the affects of Mother Nature. That is until last Monday when I woke up with a typical fall cold, but not the proper weather to accompany it. And so, I've been working from home the last couple of days, no thanks to the cold that came up from behind me and ambushed my immune system like a ninja, with all the windows open until I can no longer stand the heat and am forced to close the windows and pump in what I like to call "fake air"; translated as air conditioning to rest of the free world.

Working from the house is never my ideal, but I'm enjoying the endless episodes of Gilmore Girls, the lack of pressure to buy another coffee to secure my table, the quiet and having the option to lay down whenever I feel like it. And every day I've had the same view from the kitchen table of a little maple tree at the end of the block that is turning red. All the other trees in my current neighborhood seem to be painfully unaware of the fact that they too should be fighting for fall and protesting the heat. Just the lone maple tree screams out with hues of amber and fire engine red. Unfortunately, it was planted in entirely the wrong location near the mountains and buried by track houses and is not ideally across the street from the lake. Traffic and onlookers have no idea what they're missing.

It's sad, really. The rest of this month will probably whip by without a moment's notice and the weather will finally turn cold in November if we're lucky. And that tree, looking beautifully out of place, will no longer have any leaves to its name or its appendages will begin their final descent turning an ugly hue of burgundy while all the other trees reflect shades of gold.

Such a waste of a perfectly good tree...


No comments:

Post a Comment