Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Do's and Dont's

I recently made a list of dont's for myself. Not my usual list. Usually my lists consist of things I want to get done or aspire to accomplish. Some are long and may take a lifetime to achieve. Others are short and I race around all dayweekmonth trying to cross every last word off my little, yellow sticky notes.

All of this was brought on when I noticed that I have an insane amount of freedom these days. Teetering on ultimate freedom. I don't have a home. I have a job that affords me to travel anywhere at anytime. I'm single for the first time in years. I'm free. To do whatever. And it's kind of been stressing me out. I know. I know. It sounds great. On paper. But the reality is, not very many people want to be this free for long. I know I don't. But in the meantime, I refuse to be miserable during a time that could be amazing.

Without further ado, the list of dont's:
  1. Don't get knocked up yet.
    (Can also be read: don't do anything that will get you knocked up.) Being single, this is highly unlikely to happen. But I thought it would be a good one to write down so that my new found freedom wouldn't go to my head! I'm free. Not invincible.
  2. Don't spend money and time on things that don't matter.
    Having fewer expenses opens up a girls options, but I'm trying to be careful to not get sucked into anything that doesn't really need my involvement.
  3. Don't be afraid of what could be.
    With any place. Or any person. Or any opportunity.
  4. Don't be afraid to jump.
    I'm notorious for deliberating a decision to death.
  5. Don't spend free time worrying.
    Such a waste.
  6. Don't forget to say no. A lot.
    I'm a sucker for puppy dog eyes and stories of the heart.
  7. Don't forget to spend time with the kiddos in the family.
    They grow up so fast. (Partial pun intended.)
  8. Don't neglect the parents. They will be old someday.
  9. Don't opt out of fun. It doesn't come around every day.
  10. Don't forget: you're young.
    Sometimes (read: all the time) I put enormous amounts of pressure on myself to be great while doing great things with great people in great places. It's a little much.
    Plus, I just had a conversation with a good friend the other night about turning 40 and being alone with cats. I hate cats.
A list of dont's can be such a downer. It runs the risk of putting one in a box. And nobody likes to be told what to do-even if it's coming from their own Jiminy Cricket. But I think, for this city girl, my list of dont's is just right.

1 comment: