Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Life in The Windy City

I'm in The Second City this time and still day dreaming about living in a bustling environment, again. After a long flight and a 45 minute delay on the runway, I finally made it to my friend's apartment on the south side and have loved every minute of my last 12 hours here.

So far I've observed a few crazy differences between this city and life back home:
  • They breed in bulk in The Midwest. I witnessed armies, called families here, march through the airport at heights I've only seen on TV during March Madness. 
  • The weather is a mix of heat/humidity reminiscent of Florida and the snow scene from The Shining.The lack of sunshine for half the year is very apparent in the skin tones around these parts. It makes me sad for them and happy for me. I've never looked so tan!
  • I finally saw The Average Girl. She is a normal size with nary a bony limb on her healthy frame. She walks around in a size 10 outfit with a content look on her face. And she boldly wears shorts, blissfully unaware that there are places in this country where women are wrapped up in diet crazes so strict they confine themselves to a painful size 2 or smaller. Not to mention, these women would never dare wear anything as revealing as shorts if they thought an ounce of cellulite could possibly peak out below the cuff. 
  • There is nature in this city. It followed me here. I walked out onto the deck this morning, coffee in hand, and inadvertently disrupted a squirrel's fresco breakfast on the railing. I'm not sure who scared who the most.
  • I'm pretty sure meat and potatoes is the mantra in this land. The variety of produce is quite a bit slimmer than I'm used to. Makes me wonder what people eat all the time. Casserole? 
  • Prejudice still reigns supreme. I was warned last night not to ride the train off the red line. Whatever that means. All I know is that if I stray from that illusive red line I could get beaten or worse by another race. I love people. All kinds. My mind can barely comprehend this concept. I'm tempted to ride off the red line and hug a stranger. 

1 comment:

  1. Amendment to this post: my friend lives on the North side. Very different sides. Very.

    ReplyDelete