Thursday, April 1, 2010

Today's the day!

Yesterday I officially moved up to The Lake. It seemed totally surreal, fake, weird, and down right indescribable. I wondered how could it be that I was moving away from paradise to some other place?

The day started out with breakfast (at the ungodly hour of 7:30am) with my old housie, Ashley, at Cajun Kitchen where we laughed till it hurt and talked till we teared up. And then I was off to pack up the last few things at the Freedom House and head out. I drove down Grand Ave and started to have a million flashbacks of the summer I had spent with, my now long-time friends, Tim and Meg. And as I looked over the city from the riviera I remembered everything at once...school, friends, church, surfing, bike rides, the apartment. It just didn't seem real. I kept saying to myself, "You're just going on a long vacation. You'll be back here before you know it!"

Then I drove up to SLO where I had lunch with a couple of my oldest and dearest friends. And even though we haven't seen each other since Thanksgiving, we just picked up where we left off and talked about everything in about an hour and hugged and giggled until it was time for all of us to get back to our lives.












 

Aren't these girls just presh?!














No, she's not going into labor! I just made her laugh really hard. :)

And then I headed north. For real this time. But it didn't seam real. I caught up with a few friends on the phone, checked my facebook page a million times, detoured for the a couple of starbies, and sang as loud as I could in the car until my throat hurt. I only felt a lump form in my throat a couple times and I managed to push it and the tears away. I was pretty proud of myself for not getting all emotional over something as dumb as a move to a new town.





















It's crazy, but they have actual trees and nature-y stuff right next to the road!






















I stopped off for a bit at my grandmother's house and watched a game show, that was the equivalent of watching old footage of my summer camp days, with her for about an hour and then drove the last hour....home. Just as my car started to crest the hills covered in vineyards, it hit me. I wasn't driving to my hometown or my parents house. I was driving home. A home that even though it's very familiar, it seems very new. I couldn't help it. The lump in my throat became a knot and then it became something sizable to a boulder. It was too big to push away. And so were the tears.

And once again, I'm excited to be here (or at least move on), but sad for what I left behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment