Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A We that says I do.

My time in Beantown couldn't have been more fun and hectic! Being a bridesmaid (for the seventh time) I've become a pro at forging through an emotional, tense, hyperactive weekend. And this time was no different. This wedding was for one of my best friends that I've known since kindergarten. We go way back with a long and sordid history full of funny stories, embarrassing photos, and a plethora of memories that I can't even begin to remember.

Looking back, I can't really remember everything over the past three days, but I know that it was fun and went by fast! Although, I will say that one thing stuck out in my mind about this particular wedding: my lack of emotion. I'll be the first to admit that I am an animated girl. And that's probably putting it mildly. It's in my genes to be prone to histrionics. And for some reason, I just seemed to move through this wedding weekend unphased and sort of numb. I can't really say why. Even now, I'm still stunned. I teared up a couple times during the ceremony, but wasn't overwhelmed with emotion on the day of the nuptials.

When the bride's sister got married everyone was a hot mess. And I do mean everyone. The preacher, the bridal party (which included a puffy-faced, crying me), my parents and everyone else in the audience. But this wedding was fairly dry-eyed. Sure, people dabbed at their eyes now and then, but no major balling going on at this affair.

Which is just as well, now that the viral phenomenon of facebook has since swept the nation!

So, this morning it occurred to me why I was practically stoic yesterday. Partly, it was because a 10:30am wedding on the east coast is brutal and you're barely awake to make it through the ceremony as it is. And partly because I wasn't scared. I didn't have any feelings of panic like I have in times past; picturing myself taking the dreaded walk down the aisle. In fact, the walk wasn't even dreaded this time around. It was fine. I was fine. No sweaty palms. No racing heartbeat accompanied by shallow breathing. No hysterical feelings at all.

I don't know that I will want a big, ritzy wedding someday or an elopement somewhere in Europe. But I do know that I have finally comes to terms with being with someone for the rest of my life. The thought of checking in with someone everyday is no longer daunting. The idea of traveling with a partner by my side isn't depressing. I'm okay with being a part of a We. A We that says I do.


3 comments:

  1. Oh man! I can't believe you haven't abandoned me! I even abandoned me. Tuesday I just randomly felt like blogging. Thanks for welcoming me back!!!
    You know... bridesmaid folklore says that once you've been a bridesmaid 3 times (me), you'll never get married... until you've been a bridesmaid 7 times (you!!!), then you break the single streak. So... yeah.. watch out!! You may start bumping into abnormally stable, singly and beautiful men...

    ReplyDelete
  2. *single - not singly. Obvi. Typos are my new thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abnormally stable, huh? I like the sound of that! :)

    ReplyDelete