Tuesday, May 4, 2010

This is the only the beginning, kids!

I've only been gone for a couple days now. This trip was supposed to be fun, maybe relaxing, and just a quick little get-away with maybe one or two funny stories to tell. Honestly, I don't know why I think things will go exactly as I see them in my head, because they almost never do. In fact, my life has started to resemble a weird movie that you keep watching, because you want there to be an ending that makes sense of the whole mess.

Remember this messy little treat?

The minute I got in the car to drive down to SB I had this thought: "What am I doing? Didn't I just get settled here? WHY am I leaving....again?!" I drove to the Wine Country and picked up a friend who rode the rest of the 8 hour trip with me and the first thing she said was this: "I know we live here now, but I just keep thinking, 'What am I doing?'" It was so nice to hear those four little words from someone other than my internal monologue. Many conversations about life and a few hours later, I dropped off my friend in a little town outside of SB and proceeded to drive the rest of the way by myself.

And I made it almost to the city when the truck in front of me slammed on his brakes, causing me to slam on my brakes which had coincidentally just started to sound funny in the last couple of miles. Unfortunately, my brakes didn't grab the road as well as they have before and therefore didn't stop the rest of my 2,000 pound Volvo in time. So, I quickly steered the car, that was now starting to feel more like steering a herd of cattle, around the truck....landing myself in the other lane....of oncoming traffic. Not my favorite spot to be, but the choices were oncoming traffic or driving over the edge of the cliff.

I let out a couple of exasperated choice words loud enough to hear through rolled up windows and then immediately noticed the clouds of dust in the air. My first thought was that there were rocks falling down into the road, but then I noticed the underside of the Volkswagen that had just flipped over, staring both me and the truck driver in the face.

Awesome start to the trip, right?!

There's more, but I have a lunch to get to...so stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! I hope you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah...I'm totally fine. But I will say this: If I hadn't pulled over 2 minutes before to adjust my brakes that car probably would have slammed right into me. It was kind of a yikes moment, feeling like you just dodged a bullet...

    ReplyDelete