Monday, November 29, 2010

Somethin' from Nothin'

Secondary title: One more time with feeling(s)!

I'm in New Mexico this year for Thanksgiving which is a far cry from Disneyland-my usual stop for this time of year. And while I wanted to be in Disneyland this year (like all the years before) I'm so glad I'm not. Since I got here I've been showered with praise from some of my very best good friends and I needed it oh-so-much! Although, I didn't realize just how badly I was in need of a boost.

Since losing the job I've had for the past 3 years, I've decided to stop trying to work for someone else. At some point it's not going to work out. Either they will let me go, because the economy will shift and people will stop advertising or I will once again long to be my own boss. In fact, I find that to be the reason more often than Scenario A. I love being my own boss so much that I end up scrutinizing how my bosses runs their businesses and how it can be done better.

So, when one more part of my life seemed to crumble away this month all I had to look forward to was a few projects from my own clients and one last adventure in the southwest. And let me tell you a little something about the southwest: it's the most visually barren and depressing place I've ever visited. It's also the only place I visited this year where I've laughed and felt so much joy and thankfulness every single day. Ironically, as my friend pointed out while I was here, I just traveled to a whole lotta nothin' to get a whole bunch of somethin'.

1 comment:

  1. HEY! say it about new mexico, if you want, but my corner of the southwest is visually stunning! at least if yer looking up!

    ReplyDelete